Program Manager - Monitoring for Safe Water
Aquaya is a San Francisco-based research and consulting organization dedicated to accelerating safe water delivery in developing countries.
Our work includes a focus on effective water quality monitoring strategies and policies in a number of countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
Although contaminated drinking water is a primary cause of diarrheal disease, reliable and comprehensive information on water quality is limited in developing countries.
Through our Monitoring for Safe Water program, Aquaya will partner with relevant water sector stakeholders from at least five countries in sub-Saharan Africa to evaluate constraints to water quality testing in a range of low-resource contexts.
We will enroll a total of 30 water supply and health surveillance agencies in a payments program designed to incentivize and evaluate achievement of testing targets.
This three year applied research program is supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Aquaya is seeking a Program Manager for our Monitoring for Safe Water Program.
Under the direction of the Senior Program Manager, the Program Manager will be responsible for executing the overall program strategy and work plan and for supervising program staff.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, where Aquaya maintains a regional office.
We are seeking an ambitious candidate who can lead the expansion of Aquaya’s presence in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Execute the overall project strategy and work plan
- Maintain daily oversight over program activities
- Directly supervise two Program Associates and an Office Administrator based in Nairobi
- Participate in networking meetings with relevant water sector stakeholders
- Organize program workshops and conference presentations
- With input from the Senior Management team and program partners, manage the development and advertisement of a Request for Proposals to solicit interest in program participation, review proposals, and select program participants
- With support from the Senior Program Manager, develop payment plans and negotiate program agreements with selected participants
- Oversee data collection
- Assist with data analysis, preparation of reports and publications, and other dissemination activities
- Liaise with program partners, including the International Water Association,
- Provide written program updates to the Senior Program Manager at designated intervals
- Work with Office Administrator to track program budget
- Track progress against milestones and timeline
- Demonstrated interest in the water sector and/or international development
- Demonstrated management, leadership, and decision making skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects with attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to challenging circumstances
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
- Fluency in English required. French and Portuguese speakers are encouraged to apply
- Minimum of four years of progressively responsible professional experience
- Graduate degree in a relevant field (international development, public health, civil and environmental engineering, public policy, economics) preferred
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa preferred
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Compensation includes a competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits.
The target start date for this position is September 1, 2012.
Candidate must be able to obtain legal right to work in Kenya.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 01 Aug 2012